Tortoli, important port and commercial center, situated in the heart of the Sardinian Region of the Ogliastra, shares with Lanusei, the honour of being one of the main cities of its province. The beauties of the coastline, which features cliffs of red porphyry and white sand beaches, the presence of the port of Arbatrax, the new airport and new hotels make of this resort a famous touristic destination.
Populated since the remote times, evidenced by the traces of settlements in the area, such as: the nuraghe S'Ortali'e su Monti, the sacred area of menhir and the solar temples. The area was dominated over the ages by Carthaginians, Romans, Vandals, Goths, Arabs and the Spanish. These last invaders built some of the fortified towers that still stand in the city today, such as: the Tower of Zaccurru, also known as the Tower of san Gemiliano, which overlooks the two main harbours of Porto Frailis (North) and Porto di Orrì (South), and the Tower of Arbatrax, which was the arsenal.
Already an episcopacy seat between 1824 and 1927, inside the Parish ('700), entitled to the patron Apostle Saint Andrea well preserved are the following masterpieces: an important marble altar of the Lombard artist Giovanni Battista Franco (1802-03) and a series of wooden statues, dated between '700 and '800.
Nearby is located the small church entitled to Sant' Anna, protector of the new mothers. Outside the city there are a lot of rural churches worth a visit such as:
the small churches of San Lussorio, San Gemiliano and SS. Salvatore. Not to miss: the Church entitled to Santa Maria, procuress of the seas, Stella Maris, which is located in the port area of Arbatax.