A municipality scattered over the province of Trieste, composed of several districts, including Duino, a beach resort situated on a rocky outcrop and dominated by a castle. The territories include part of the Carso, the Colle of Ternova and the Golfo of Panzano. Located in a heterogeneous environment: the inland is characterized by caves and dolines, while the coast features a typical Mediterranean climate and vegetation.
Several discoveries evidence that the area was inhabited since the Copper Ages. In pre-Roman times here settled Venetians and Histrians, later colonized by the Romans that developed the port with its maritime trading. With the fall of the Roman Empire the territories were prey of the Barbarians who, through the Alpi Giulie, found an easy route to access the peninsula. In the Middle Ages, from the XIII century, the town was submitted to the Lords of Duino, which were vassals of the Patriarch of Aquileia, then it was ceded to the Margrave of Istria, the Counts of Gorizia and finally to the Habsburgs. In the late XIV century, at the death of the last lord, the control of Duino went to the Walsee and later to the Della Torre. In the XIX century the town was under the jurisdiction of the District of Sesana
and subsequently that of Gradisca.
- the Church of San Rocco in Aurisina, built in 1795 and preserves inside frescoes of the artist Furlanis and an altar of the Baroque period;
- the Church of Santo Spirito in Duino dating back to 1591;
- the XV century Church of San Giovanni in Tuba;
- the Church of Santa Maria Maddalena in Slivia;
- the Castle of the Princes of Thurn und Taxis, dating from the XIV century, overlooks the sea. It was built on the site where once stood a Roman outpost and incorporates a watch tower of the XVI century;
- the old Castle of Duino, overlooks the sea and features a small XI century fortress, today in ruins;
- the Rilke path, a trail along the Coast, named after the German poet who lived there and was inspired by the beauty of this area;
- the stone quarries of Aurisina.
- the Palaeontological site of Villaggio del Pescatore, where the biggest and most complete fossil of Italian dinosaur has been discovered.