For some historians, the town's name derives from the Latin personal name "Cervonius" (the name of an ancient Roman family) with the addition of the suffix "anus" (indicating ownership), while another school of thought supports that the origins derive from the word "cervo" (deer), as the forests of area were a preferred home for these animals. Municipality in the province of Udine, whose territory, washed by the River Aus, is located in Lower Fiulana, not far from Grado.
The town was colonized by the Romans and belonged to the Serenissima Republic of Venice during the XV century and at the beginning of the next century, it became part of the Hapsburg Kingdom to go later in the Captaincy of Aquileia. At the end of the XVIII it returned to Austria, until it became an Italian-French possession in the early XIX century. In 1813, once restored the Austrian rule, Cervignano was assigned to the province of Gorizia. In this area developed in a decisive manner the problem of irredentism: the local population strongly felt the desire to belong to Italian State. Italian troops meet the demands of the population in 1915.
No to miss:
- the Cathedral, built in 1964, features a bronze crucifix of the artist Piccini and valuable artworks of Orlando. The Baptistery is decorated with masterpieces of Zigaina;
- the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, built in 1780 and features a simple façade, surmounted by a pediment. Inside are preserved XIX century frescoes of Sabastiano Santi. Recent renovations have brought to light finds of the Roman and the Medieval periods. At the base of the XI century Bell Tower, there is a well preserved mosaic of the Lombard period;
- the Chapel of Santa Croce, located in the Park of Villa Bresciani. It features a XII century wooden Cross with Byzantine details;
- the Church of Santa Maria in Vineis, already cited in the XIV century and located in Borgo Gallo;
- the Church of St. Nicholas in Strassoldo;
- Villa Bresciani;
- Villa Chiozza;
- Villa De Obizzi Lanzone;
- the Castles of Strassoldo.