The town's name honors San Floriano, a Roman legionary and martyr, who died by orders of the Lombards for spreading the Christian faith in Friuli. The second part of the name obviously refers to the area where the land rises. Municipality in the province of Gorizia, is located on the border with Slovenia, in a hilltop location, which provides a particularly favorable ideal exposure. The economy is mainly based on the production of fine wines, appreciated all over the world, and the cultivation of cherries. Also worth of mention: its gourmet products, its historical itineraries and cultural attractions.
The area was, without doubt, inhabited since prehistoric times and endured colonization by the Romans, but the first document in which San Floriano is reported, dates back to 1170. These territories were disputed for more than a century, during the period between the XVI and the XVII centuries, between the Serenissima Republic of Venice and Austria, both with the intent in the control of the Adriatic. In 1616 the Venetians tried to conquer Gradisca, which was another strategic point for the Hapsburg Empire in the territory of Isonzo, and assaulted San Floriano, killing a large number of its inhabitants. During the following years, the troops of Venice occupied the village and turn it into a fortified outpost to defend the eastern borders of the Republic. In 1623 it became part of territories of Austria. During the First World War, St. Floriano was occupied by Italian forces and at the end of the fighting, the castle, which had housed an Italian regiment, was severely damaged.
Not to miss:
- the quite modern Parish Church, dedicated to St. Florian, which was destroyed during the First World War. Rebuilt, it is characterized by a façade which features five windows and a porch with ogive arches supported by solid columns. The massive and tall Bell tower is interrupted by small windows, the belfry is adorned with mullioned windows ant the whole structure is topped by a pyramidal spire. Inside the church preserves three altars of great value and decorations made by Perco;
- the medieval Castle of Ungrispach, which was bought by the Counts Formentini of Cividale in the first half of the XVI century. The structure, built for defensive purposes, was part of the system of imperial fortifications. Severely damaged during the First World War, it was restored for a first time and transformed after the Second World War, into a private residence, due to the loss of defensive needs. Today it houses the Museum of Wine and a famous restaurant. Currently only parts remain of the ancient castle walls and towers;
- the Castle of the Barons Tacco, damaged during the war, preserves valuable paintings and pieces of furniture and is seat of a well-stocked library;
- the numerous medieval houses