The town's name honors the patron saint, San Giovanni Battista and the river that crosses its territory. Municipality in the province of Udine, located between the plains at the edge of the hills of Collio and near the border with the territories of Gorizia. In addition to the main centre, it incorporates several districts and is crossed by the rivers Natisone and Judrio. It is one of the major centers in the furniture industry.
The discovery of Roman remains and the particular location along the main road, that linked Cividale with Aquileia, evidence that the settlement was colonized already at the times of the Empire. Documented for the first time in year 1000, when the was donated by the Patriarch of Aquileia to the Abbey of Rosazzo. It was involved in the late XIII century in the clashes between the Lords of Gramogliano and those of Manzano, for the control of the surrounding lands. After the fall of the Patriarchate, it submitted the domain of the Manzano until the Treaty of Campoformio, in fact the town's name was San Giovanni of Manzano until 1928. In the following years, it was incorporated into the Habsburg Kingdom. During the First World War, thanks to its strategic location, it was chosen to host a military headquarters.
Not to miss:
- the Church of San Giusto of ancient origins, preceded by a portico supported by eight columns and features a façade, characterized by the presence of a central bell tower, with a sail shape, which projects well beyond the top of the roof. The portal was completed in the first half of the XVI century and inside preserves a wooden carved and painted altarpiece, which enriches the altar;
- Villa De Brandis in Dolegnano, whose construction began in the first half of the XVIII century and features a beautiful park. It suffered damage during the First World War and was donated to the City by the Countess De Brandis in 1984. It contains many paintings by several popular artists, such as: Duroni, Arsella and Milesi;
- the house of Pietro Zorutti of Balzano of San Giovanni; home of one of the most representative poets of the region between the XVIII and XIX centuries;
- Villa Trento in Dolegnano, dating from the XVIII century, is surrounded by a large park;
- the XVI century Ville De Puppi in Villanova of Judrio.