Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Emilia Romagna Surroundings of Bologna Castel San Pietro Terme

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Castel San Pietro Terme

Description

Town near Bologna, situated at the foot of the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines, along the ancient Via Emilia, the history of Castel San Pietro Terme began after the Battle of Legnano, when Bologna, decided to defend their peace and autonomy and ordered the building here a castle for defense purposes of the surrounding territory. However, over the centuries, the inhabitants knew very few moments of peace, being often subject to raids and destruction caused by foreign armies, that several times, seriously damaged and burned the main center.
Castel San Pietro Terme is a popular and renowned spa resort, thanks to the therapeutic qualities of the water spring Fegatelli, already famous in the XIV century.
Sites of Interest:
- the numerous finds of the Roman and Villanova eras, traced in the several archaeological sites in the territory;
- the Cassero (Keep), which is the monument that marks the site of the official foundations of Castel San Pietro in 1199, a bulwark built to defend the territory of Bologna. The first building was in wood and over the centuries it was transformed into a stone bulwark, used by the various conquerors as defense against their enemy attacks, until early 1500, when Bologna and Imola became part of the Papal State and Castel San Pietro lost much of its military purposes;
- the Clock Tower, which is documented since 1300 and is located in the higher part of the Cassero;
- the watch towers and ancient walls of the city's defense;
- the villas and historic houses (Palazzina al Palesio, Villa Scarselli, Villa Paglia, Villa Torre Gaiana, Villa-Palazzo De Buoi);
- the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, built on the ruins of an ancient church of the XIII century, reconstructed and restored in the XVIII century, inside are preserved art works by Galdolfi and Cavedoni;
- the Church of the Annunciation, built along the ancient Via Emilia;
- the Baroque Church of the Capuchins, with a valuable collection of artworks by local artists;
- the Church of San Biagio (1800);
- the XVIII century Church of St. Michael the Archangel, which preserves a famous painting of the artist Guardassoni;
- the Church of San Lorenzo, built in pre-Romanesque style;
- the Shrine of the Holy Cross, built in 1750, within which is preserved a miraculous crucifix. The building is flanked by a Bell Tower with 55 bells.

Map

This town web page has been visited 24,394 times.

Choose language

italiano

english