A town in the province of Bologna, situated at short distance from the Via Emilia and is considered one of the most typical and best preserved medieval villages of Romagna, surrounded by vast stretches of vineyards. The town's name derives from a medieval Latin word, which indicates the presence here of pipelines that regulated the flow of water into a large tank for the benefit of the entire population. The town was mentioned for the first time in a document of 1126 with the name "castrum Dutie. Inhabited since the Bronze Age, the site was first subject to the Gauls, then to the Romans and was already an important centre before year 1000. In 1086, under the domain of Bologna, the centre was surrounded by fortified walls and two centuries later reinforced with a bulwark and a fortified gateway to defend the entrance to the village. For centuries it was disputed, because of its strategic location dominating the Via Emilia. The town flourished and found some stability under the rule of Caterina Sforza, who also had the fortress rebuilt. A the end of lengthy disputes, it finally became a feud of Malvezzi-Campeggi.
Besides the typical medieval appearance, the village of Dozza is made unique by the numerous artistic paintings that adorn the façades of the houses.
Sites of Interest:
- the Sforza Castle, also known as Rocca Caterina, a powerful and massive construction, that at the same time is perfectly harmonized with the surrounding territory. Its building was ordered by the Lords of Bologna in 1250 and enlarged in 1305 by Romeo Pepoli. The complex has an hexagonal shape, with a perimeter of 200 meters. The transformation of structure with purely military fortress purposes to a noble residence was started by Annibale, Baldassare and Vincenzo Campeggi, that lived here since 1565 and was completed by Antonio Campeggi in 1594;
- the Town Hall, overlooking Piazza Zotti, with XVI century origins, although it has received significant refurbishments in the XX century. In precious historical archives are preserved parchments dating from the X century.
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, built in the XII century on the site where once a previous Romanesque church was located and preserves inside a table of 1492 of Mark Palmezzano;
- the Rivellino (a fortified gateway and main access to the town centre in the XVIII century);
- the XIV century Rocchetta;
- the Church of San Lorenzo;
- the XVII century Sanctuary of Calanco;
- the XIII century Monastery of Monte del Re, today a hotel.