Ozzano is a town in the province of Bologna, situated along the Via Emilia, between the hills of the Regional Park of the Gessi Bolognesi and the Gullies dell'Abbadessa. Its origins date back to Roman times, when in the present district of Maggio stood the Roman city of Claterna, whose existence is documented by numerous finds dating to that historical period, many of which are on display at the Civic Museum in Bologna. In 1176 the town was the scenario of a battle between the troops of Bologna and those of Barbarossa.
Sites of Interest:
- the small Church of St. Andrew, where the mortal remains of Blessed Lucia Settefonti are preserved, protagonist of a popular legend: she was loved in vain by a young knight, who, to forget this impossible love, went to the Holy Land. Taken prisoner and a prey of symptoms of a strong fever, in a dream he saw the nun (who meanwhile had died) and without knowing how, he miraculously found himself near her tomb and left here a series of wooden logs that still today hang above the altar;
- the Church of St. Christopher and St. Charles, whose current façade is the result of alterations made in 1924 by the architect. Rivani;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Quaderna, mentioned already in documents since 1365. The Bell Tower features shapes of the XVII century, while the interior has been remodeled in the XIX century. It preserves inside a beautiful Nativity of Our Lady by the artist Orazio Samacchini;
- the Roman Archaeological Museum, a permanent exhibitions of the finds from excavations of the Roman city of Claterna.