Town in the province of Bologna, situated on the Western hills on the border with the province of Modena, Monteveglio is located in an area inhabited since the Neolithic Ages, as evidenced by the finds now on display at the Archaeological Museum of Bazzano. The town's name derives from the Latin "Mons Belli" (mount of the war, referring probably to a battle that took place here between Romans and Gauls). In the X century it became a fief of the Counts of Canossa and in 1076 the lands were inherited by Matilda, Countess of Canossa and Marchioness of Tuscany. In the struggle between the Empire and the Papal State, Matilde di Canossa sided with the Church and thus against the Emperor, Henry IV of the House of Franconia.
The Emperor decided to punish Matilde di Canossa and moved to the conquest of their land, but the inhabitants and troops of Monteveglio spoiled his plans, resisting successfully for four months to the dramatic siege, in which Henry IV, humiliated and saddened by the loss of his son during the final battle, ordered the retreat.
The ancient village of Monteveglio spread around the ancient church of Santa Maria. It is accessed through a beautiful gateway with battlements and this is all that remains of the fortifications of the castle.
Sites of Interest:
- the Castle, whose origins date back to year 1000 and of which remain only the entrance and a tower which XIV century features;
- the Abbey, built in the XII century and flanked by a XIV century Bell Tower, reached great power in the XIV century when, as a Parish, it was in charge of 43 churches. The church was built in the XI century on the ruins of an earlier building of the IX century, while the building of the monastic abbey was founded by Matilde di Canossa and assigned to the Regular Canons of San Frediano of Lucca;
- the Church of St. Paul, built between the XIV and XVI centuries;
- the village of Oliveto, which has the features of a typical medieval village. Not to miss: the visit to a medieval building known as Casa Grande dell'Ebreo and the Bronzina;
- the district of Montebudello with the Church of St. Andrew and its vast stretches of vineyards.