Town located not far from the city of Bologna, Castel Maggiore was also known, up to the beginning of the XIX century with the name of Castagnolo Maggiore. Excavations in the area evidence the presence of settlements since ancient times (Gauls and Romans). After the fall of the Roman Empire, the territories were subject to Barbarian raids up till the VIII century, when the Byzantines established their domain here. A decisive economic and trading increase was recorded in connection with the completion of the Nevile Canal.
Sites of Interest:
- the Oratory of the Immaculate Conception, partially abandoned, was built in the XIX century by the monks of St. Bartholomew of Pistoia. It features a front porch with two columns and is surmounted by a belfry;
- the Church of St. Bartholomew, founded in the XIV century by the monks of St. Procolo;
- the Church of St. Andrew, completely remodeled in the XIX century. It houses a valuable crucifix of the XVII century;
- the Church of St. Biagio, which is the oldest building in town. It is built in Romanesque style and belonged to the Benedictine monks till 1154. It is flanked by a chapel and a massive bell tower;
- the Church of Sabbiuno di Piano, built in the XIV century, has been subject to several renovations over the centuries, like those completed in the late years of the XIX century;
- the Church of St. Apollinare, now desecrated;
- the Church of St. John the Baptist, rebuilt in the XVI century after a flood that seriously damaged the original XIV century structure. Inside it preserves a valuable painting that depicts St. John in the desert, located under the altar and attributed to the school of Guido Reni;
- the splendid aristocratic villas (Villa Belvedere, Villa Stagni, Villa Zarri, Villa Isabella, Villa Salina and Villa Rossi).