Town in the province of Como, located on a plateau covered with woods, Brunate is a famous resort well known by the nickname "Balcony of the Alps" for its many panoramic points from where it is possible to admire the entire area of the Western Alps, the Apennines and the Po Valley. It is connected to the main city of the province by a paved road and by a panoramic chair lift (funicolare) opened in 1893.
It is a town of Celtic origins with strong Etruscan influence. After being for a long period submitted by the Romans, in the second half of the XII century, Brunate became a free municipality, but its independence had a short-live, because in 1240 it was annexed to the city of Como. Key step in the history of the country is undoubtedly the foundation of the Monastery of Saint Andrew in 1340: since then, Brunate appears as a place of religious isolation also due to its access difficulties.
It is a great starting point for excursions to Mount Boletto (1236 meters) and Mount Bolettone (1317 meters) and features many shelters in the area.
In addition to the Art Nouveau and eclectic villas, the area features buildings and monuments of major historical and artistic value, such as the Parish of St. Andrew, located at the top of Brunate and dates back to the XIV century. The present building sustained various interventions in the XIX century. Inside are preserved frescoes by A. de Passeri (XV century) and Raphael & Gian Paolo Recchi.
In the district of San Maurizio, just above the Municipal Park Marenghi, a lighthouse (Faro Voltiano) was erected. It belongs to the Municipality of Como and has been named after Alessandro Volta. It is an octagonal tower, built in 1927 and high 29 m, and at night it spreads light alternately white, red and green.