Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Novecento Boutique Hotel Venice

    Novecento Boutique Hotel Venice

    Charming Boutique Hotel 3 Stars Quality Accommodation Venice Veneto Italy

  • Al Valico Relax

    Al Valico Relax

    Holiday Guest house, bed and breakfast accommodation, Tramonti, Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Hotel Fontana Amalfi

    Hotel Fontana Amalfi

    Quality 3 Stars Hotel Accommodation in historical centre of Amalfi, Sea view, Duomo view, Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Nonna Orsola Cooking School Amalfi Coast

    Nonna Orsola Cooking School Amalfi Coast

    Italian Gastronomy Cooking Class Ravello Amalficoast Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania Italy

  • La Buca delle Fate

    La Buca delle Fate

    Quality Appartments Accommodation Vacation Holiday Guest House Residence Maiori Amalficoast Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania...

you are here: Home Lombardy Lake Como Bellagio

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Bellagio

Description

A popular holiday resort placed at the top of Larian Triangle, on one of the Southern branches, Bellagio, also known as "the pearl of the Lario", is located in an area inhabited since prehistoric times. A settlement was founded here by the Romans (the non documented history narrates that here was located a villa of Pliny the Younger). The centre was fortified with walls in the Lombard ages and sided the other independent municipalities and opposed to Como. Subsequently it was ceded to the Visconti, who paved the fortifications. In late XV century, Ludovico il Moro ceded the fief to Stanga Family, later it passed to Sfrondati Family, who owned most of the Eastern shore of the lake, and in 1647, part of the fief was submitted to the Airoldi. These and other families built mansions and palaces, created parks which were renovated and expanded, between the XVIII century and the XIX century and so, Bellagio became one of the most famous resorts in Europe.

Not to miss:
The Basilica of St. James, built between the XI and XII centuries, during the XVIII century the building submitted a complete refurbishment both internal and external. In the early XX century, under the guidance of the architect Perrone, the structure was restored again and at present it features a Romanesque appearance.
Near to the Basilica of St. James lies the Church of San Giorgio, in which is preserved a painting of the XI century (the Madonna of the Belt) and a wooden statue of the same period.
Of Baroque style plan, instead, is the Church of San Giovanni Battista (XVII century), which features only one nave with a wooden altar of the XVII century, a fresco depicting the Madonna delle Grazie from the Lombard school, a marble statue of the Immaculate Conception of the school of Bernini and a wooden Choir of the same century.
Along the shores of the promontory of Bellagio there are several villas with parks, such as Villa Serbelloni, today a famous luxury hotel, which was built in the XV century on the ruins of the old castle razed in 1375. It is currently owned by the Rockefeller Foundation in New York and only the park is open to the public.
Splendid is also Villa Melzi, also privately owned, built in 1808 for the Duke Francesco Melzi d 'Eril, coadjutor of Napoleon. It is possible to visit a small chapel, the small museum (with a rich archaeological collection of paintings and sculptures, including a text attributed to Michelangelo) and the beautiful park where flowrs of azaleas and rhododendrons are alternated with magnificent statues.

Map

This town web page has been visited 24,788 times.

Choose language

italiano

english