A beautiful resort of Val Trebbia, in the hills of Piacenza, whose name origins are, most probably to be found in the presence of a small stream "rio Vergaro", that rolls down through the hills of Bassano to the village of Trebbia.
In the Middle Ages it was a shelter for the Ghibelline, that often found refuge here - especially after a defeat - within the walls of a close-knit castle, planning counter strategies. The town was scenario of bloody clashes between local nobles, in 1548 it passed to the Anguissola Scotti, whose residence lies on the right hand side of the ruins of the fortified manor.
Sites of Interest:
- the Oratory of San Rocco, which was rebuilt in the XVII century and contains a valuable painting of the artist Pitocchetto;
- the Church of St. Agatha, in neo-Classical style and designed by the architect Tomba;
- the Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie, in the vicinity of the ruins of the castle, features decorative elements in Romanesque style;
- Villa Anguissola-Scotti, created in 1778 by the architect Tomba, built on the foundations of a fortified manor of the XI century;
- the Castle of Montechiaro, a fortress with a square plan, which belonged to the Malaspina;
- the Castle of Ottavello, a quadrangular shaped building, which became a prison when it was no longer used as a military garrison;
- the Rocca of Niviano, owned by the Malaspina since the XII century;
- the Castle of Ancarano, of which there are records since 1466. It is easy to distinguish the two periods of its building; the oldest presents two circular towers and traces of stone walls built into the rock of the nearby cliffs, while in the more recently built part, over the crown of battlements are inserted beautiful Renaissance-style windows.