It is a town in the province of Parma, which developed over the centuries around its main monument, the castle. The area was inhabited since the Paleolithic Ages, while in the Bronze Age, as a large part of the Po valley, here spread a civilization, that lived in dwelling villages. Then came the turn of the Ligurian peoples of the Villanova culture, who were beaten by the Romans and exiled in 187 B.C. The village developed in the early Middle Ages, between 900 and 950, when the territories were occupied by the Augustinian monks of the Abbey of San Felicola. The town's name "Monticulus Rivulus" begins to appear in documents dated 1184. Donated to the Bishop of Parma, the territories were ceded in fief to Guido Anselmo of San Vitale in 1255. The dynasty of the San Vitale ended with the conquest of land by the Visconti, who ceded Montechiarugolo to their leader Guido Torelli, who rebuilt the castle and a massive fortified wall. After the death of Pio Torelli by hanging in 1612, the town submitted the rule of the Camera Ducale. In 1806 the town was proclaimed municipality and in 1860 it was incorporated into the Kingdom of Italy.
Sites of Interest:
- the Castle, built with its present late medieval forms by Guido Torelli, in the XV century, near to the earlier built defensive system of the town. With the advance of the artillery, the castle turned out to be completely inefficient and was transformed into an elegant residence, leaving, however, outside intact the military features. It has a trapezoidal shape with the watch tower located on the west side of the courtyard. Today it is still privately owned;
- the late XVI century Town Hall, built on the remains of a former palace of the XV century;
- the Church of San Quentin, rebuilt in the early years of this century by the architect Camillo Uccelli, to replace a primitive Romanesque church built in the first half of 1200. Of the old building remains just part of the apse and some small buildings located adjacent to the Bell Tower, which dates back to the second half of the XVII century;
- the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie and the Oratory of Romito;
- the Church of the village of Basilicagoiano, built in the XVIII century and inside preserves a copper altarpiece and a XVII century organ;
- the ruins of the Castle of the village of Basilicanova;
- the Baroque Church of the district of Tortiano, in the neo-Classical style;
- the Church of San Donnino Martyr, of which there are records since 1230 on a parchment of the Episcopal Tithes. The present building is the result of renovations of the second half of the XVIII century. Inside are preserved important artworks of the XVIII and XIX centuries;
- the Spa and Wellness center of Monticelli Terme.