Town in the province of Parma, situated among a series of small hills, surrounded by woods, plains of fields and ravines. The districts of Sant'Andrea Bagni, Ramiola and Varano Marchesi are famous for the alkaline, ferruginous and sulphurous water sources that spring from the underground.
The area was inhabited since ancient times, as evidenced by archaeological finds dating from the Neolithic period unearthed here. The town's name derives from the Latin "Medianum" and its first documented on the Tabula Alimentaria (a list of food items) found in Velleia and of the Trajan era.
Sites of Interest:
- the Church of San Pantaleone, cited in the XIII century in the "Capitulum seu Titulus Decimarum. Declared dangerous for use in 1908, it was rebuilt and reopened in 1928;
- the ruins of the Castle of Varano, built on Ripe St. Blaise, on the right side of the stream Recchio;
- the Church of the village of Sant'Andrea Bagni, already mentioned in the Rotolo delle Decime of 1230;
- the Shrine of Saint Lucia;
- the Church of the village of Roccalanzona, completed in 1705 by the Rector Don Giovanni Antonio Vascelli;
- the tower-houses of Roccalanzona;
- the Museum of History and Civilization with antiquities of Alta Val Recchia and objects of the rural civilization donated by Mark Pometti of Roccalanzona. In this museum is preserved the decal of the Jubilee Stone of Roccalanzona, reminiscent of the first Jubilee of Christianity proclaimed in 1300 by Pope Boniface VIII.