Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Tuscany Florence and Surroundings Lastra a Signa

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Lastra a Signa

Description

Tied to the historical events of the Tuscan capital, Lastra a Signa conceals an unknown natural and artistic wealth that merits to be discovered by its visitors.
The ring of green hillsides dominating the River Arno valley is speckled with churches, from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, and by those marvellous stately villas, the country homes where Florentine nobles spent their summer.
Painters and architects, famous throughout the world, like Bicci di Lorenzo and his son Neri, Lorenzo Monaco, Matteo Rosselli, Leon Battista Alberti, Baccio d'Agnolo, Bartolomeo Ammannati and the young Filippo Brunellsechi, all worked here.
Lastra a Signa is still, even today, closed inside its walls built between 1400 and 1426 and which had been "surveyed" by Brunelleschi. The wall complex is broken up by seven towers and three doors. The door facing south , the so called "door of Baccio" is still in quite good condition. The wall itself, in typical Medieval style, is decorated with corbels held up by elegant stone ledges.
Inside the castle stands the church of Santa Maria alla Lastra. It was built in 1404 and inside is conserved the venerated antique painting of the Madonna with child (1275-1280).
The Spedale (Hospital) of St Antonio which offered hospitality to travellers, was built between 1416 and 1421, by the Consoli dell'Arte della Seta (Consuls of the Silk Guild) by will of Francesco di Leccio from San Miniato's testament.

Map

This town web page has been visited 97,408 times.

Choose language

italiano

english