Figline Valdarno rises between the slopes of the Chianti hills and the left bank of the Arno river. The place name comes from a compound name by the Latin word "Figalinae" with the meaning of "potter or argil mine" and the specification of "Valdarno" took in 1863 for the position of the town along the Arno river. The first settlements in the area of Figline Valdarno go back to the Stone Age, as testified by the numerous finds came to light in the area. During the Roman period, the village became an important agricultural centre; however, the real consolidation of the residential settlements in the area of Figline Valdarno started around the XI-th century by building a castle, that belonged to the Uberti's family, and the first parishes.
In 1250 the city of Florence invaded the territory of Figline Valdarno and destroyed the castle. Entered the Florentine orbit, Figline Valdarno was fortified in order to face up to the continuous attacks by the Ghibellines against the Florentine Republic and thus in 1356 Florence started the building of an imposing ring of walls and a urban plane consisting of three important roads that connected the town to the cities of Florence, Arezzo and Siena.
In the next century, under the Medici's domination, Figline valdarno became the "Florence's barn".
Among the most important monument to see rhere, do not miss to visit the Collegiata Church of St. Maria, the Church of St. Francis, the Church of St. Biagio and the Pretorian Palace.