The historic medieval centre of Calenzano is dominated the the ancient castle which, together with the other ones and sighting towers, formed the defensive outpost of Florence.
Calenzano is also characterized by the presence of these villas-farm with long avenues, vineyards and olive grove.
At the beginning of Middle Ages, parishes were the first form of organization of this zone. San Donato is situated on the top of a hill, that overlooks the whole Val di Marina; the first news of this church dated back to the 9th and the 10th century, it was probably built on a pre-existant militar building. In the 1450 the church became property of the Medici's family and in the 1460 Carlo, natural child of Cosimo il Vecchio, modified the structure with an elegant cloister.
The parish of San Severo a Legri was built at the crossroad of three important streets: one that brought to Fiesole, one to the Arno valley, one to Mugello. It has a romanesque structure, with a nave and two aisles.
The parish of Santa Maria a Carraia dates back to the XI century; renovation works, between the 1940 and the 1942, has distorted the aspect of the church, with the overturning of the orientation and the demolition of the ancient entrance.