The town's name derives from the Latin word "fumus", referring to the thick curtain of clouds that often surrounds it and hides the summits of nearby mountains. It is a municipality in the province of Verona, located in the Valley of Progni, one of three that divide the Valpolicella area, bounded by the Pastello mountains and the Corno
d'Aquilio. The vast territory stretches from a minimum of just over 150 meters to a maximum height of 1100 meters above sea level.
The area was inhabited since Prehistoric times, as evidenced by the numerous exhibits found here; Fumane was an important centre during the Roman colonization, who, in addition to the numerous names of surrounding towns, have left significant traces. The decline of the Empire gave way to the conquest of new populations, such as the Lombards in the Dark Ages. Several noble families succeeded and ruled the town, such as: the Della Scala, the Maffei and the Della Torre. During the period of the Venetian domination the area was embellished by elegant villas still admirable today. The following history is linked to that of the nearby city of Verona.
- the Church of Santa Maria del Degnano in Vaio, of which there are preserved documented traces since year 1163 and which was built on the site where formerly pagan rites used to be officiated;
- the Church of San Zeno, originally built in the early XIII century, was rebuilt in the XVIII century on project of the architect Dal Pozzo. It features a Classical façade, characterized by the presence of two major columns, with capitals, supporting a pediment, the portal is extraordinarily rich and impressive. The Bell Tower, at the rear, is divided
into several sections and is topped by a spire. The interior proposes a single nave with a Latin cross plan. Inside are preserved a XVI century altarpiece and some contemporary paintings, artworks of the artist Morone;
- the XIX century Sanctuary of Our Lady of La Salette;
- the XV century Cchurch of Saint Marziale di Breonio;
- the Botanical Museum of Lessinia;
- the XV century Villa Salle in Volta;
- Villa Della Torre a Banchette;
- Villa dei Ravignani.
- Villa Marchiori.
- the Shelter Solinas in the village of Molina, a prehistoric cave inhabited for a long period, approx.
60000 years ago.