Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Veneto Verona Surroundings Gazzo Veronese

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Gazzo Veronese

Description

The first part of the town's name derives from the Lombard word "gahagi" (forest). Municipality in the province of Verona, located on the border with the Lombard Region, the territory of Gazzo Veronese is crossed by rivers Tione and Tartaro and includes the Natural Oasis of Busatello.
Remains of a necropolis evidence that the area was inhabited since prehistoric times. Other important traces retrieved bear witness to a important Roman presence. The special location occupied along a key road artery for trade with Verona, the Via Claudia Augusta, it gave way to the building of several commercial centers . After the Fall of the Roman Empire and the subsequent Barbarian invasion, the area submitted a consequent depopulation and the incurred lands turned into a giant swamp, until, in the VIII century, the Benedictines reclaimed them back and turned them into farmlands. In the early XIV century Gazzo was assigned to the Scala Family. In 1929 the town expanded thanks to the merge with the nearby Correzzo.

Attractions:
- the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, whose earliest records date from the IX century and was destroyed by an earthquake. Rebuilt in Romanesque style, features a central mullioned window and is flanked by a Bell Tower with a square base, interrupted only by a single arched window. Inside the church preserves valuable mosaics and other decorative elements of the original building;
- the Ceson of San Pietro in Valle, despite the name, is a small church built in several phases, most likely around year 1000. It features a Latin cross plan, rich of marbles. The Bell Tower was originally supposed to be a watch tower or a lighthouse;
- the XV century Church of San Prosdocimo;
- the XVI century Church of Saints Filippo and Giacomo of Roncanova;
- the XV century Villa Montanari in the hamlet of Pradelle;
- the IV century Roman Watchtower;
- the XIII century Castle;
- the Civic Archaeological Museum.

Map

This town web page has been visited 20,747 times.

Choose language

italiano

english