Southern entrance to the Trentino Region, Avio (Aue in German) is a town in the province of Trento, which runs along the eastern ridge of Mount Baldo, in Vallagarina, surrounded by a particularly lush is accented with extensive cultivation of olive trees and vines.
Symbol of the town is the beautiful Castle of Sabbionara that was assigned to the Family of the Lord of Castelbarco in 1198. At the death of the last descendant of this dynasty, Avio submitted the domain of the Serenissima Republic of Venice, experiencing a prosperous economical period. The discovery of Roman remains, ensure its Roman origins and that here, in particular, quickly grew a very active trading centre.
In Summer, not to miss is a visit to the chalets on Monte Baldo, where it is possible to taste typical products.
Sites of Interest:
- the Castle of Sabbionara, one of the most evocative fortified complexes in the Trentino, surrounded by massive walls enclosing the keep, five towers and the baronial palace. Built in secluded location in the hillside, it was seat of the guards and houses an extraordinary cycle of XIV century frescoes with scenes of war. Interesting is also the room entitled to "Love" in the keep with its fine frescoes, an early example of secular painting of the XIV century, with masterpieces dating from between 1330 and 1333. The beauty of its artworks have favored the visit of very famous personalities, such as: the Lombard King Autari, with his wife Teodolinda, the Emperors Charles V and Maximilian of Hapsburg;
- the old Parish Church of the early Middle Ages, which preserves elegant and exquisite frescoes dating from the XII and XV century. It was mentioned for the first time in 1145 and dedicated to the Immaculate Vergin, but probably built on the remains of an ancient pagan temple. Worth of mention are the baptismal font and the bell tower in white stone;
- the Church of the Assumption (XVII century) in baroque style, built to a design by Domenico Visetti and embellished by stucco decorations of the artist Giovanni Angelo Sala;
- the Antiquarium where finds from the Roman period found in the area are on display.