Vallarsa (Brandtal in Cimbrian and German) is a town in the province of Trento, located in the homonymous valley, built by the waters of the River Leno that insinuates itself between the mountain range of Carega and that of Pasubio. About the origins of the name, there are several theories, according to some, in fact, it derives from "valle arsa" (the burnt valley) or "valle sempre asciutta" (the always dry valley) or "parched" (from the large amount of wood burned to produce charcoal), while other historians attest that it derives from the Cimbrian "vallis arsium" (narrow valley).
It is a conglomeration of several villages, the oldest of which dates back to the XIII century when Giacomo Castelbarco favored the immigration of German settlers. In the XV century, under the rule of the Venetian Republic, the residents favored the same privileges already granted to them by Castelbarco.
During the First World War, the population was evacuated and the Austrian troops built here a fortress to control the borders.
Sites of Interest:
- the Parish of St. Vigil, already mentioned in 1470 and rebuilt in the XVIII century, features a slender pear-domed bell tower and, inside, preserves marble altars and paintings of the Venetian Art School;
- the Parish Church of the Nativity in Valmorbia (1885);
- the Church of St. Joseph in Albaredo (1652);
- the Church of St. Florian in Riva (XVIII century);
- the Chapel of the Madonna del Carmine, in Staineri, built in the XVII century;
- the Hermitage of St. Colombano, located in the municipality of Trambileno, overlooking the River Leno, reachable after traveling along a short path with 120 steps built in the rock. Protected from the weather by a roof of natural rock, the structure is dedicated to the saint who, according to legend, as a young knight killed the dragon, that caused the death of children baptized in the waters of the river below. The Hermitage seems to have been inhabited since 753, the date of construction of the church, while the adjoining hermitage was built in the X century;
- the Fortress of Valmorbia and the trenches of Matassone;
- the Ossuary of Pasubio, made in the shape of a lighthouse and opened in 1926. It houses the remains of more than 13,000 bodies of Italian and Austrian soldiers dead on the front during World War I;
- the Museum of Rural Life of Vallarsa, which contains several objects of daily life, agricultural and artisan labor of the past:
- the Path of Peace.