It 's a town in the province of Chieti, the name of which reveals its Roman origins ("villa"= farm; "magna" = important or large). After the fall of the Roman Empire, the town was ceded to the Benedictine monks, that in 870, already lived in the area in the monastery of San Severino. Later it became domain of the Normans. In 1525 it was ceded by Charles V in fief to Antonio di Sava, and later in 1567 Filippo II sold it to Agostino Scipioni, who was appointed Baron of Villamagna.
Not to miss:
- the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, built between 1730 and 1750 in typical Neapolitan Baroque style;
- the former Church of St. Francis, which dates back to the XIII century;
- The typical covered arcades, built to delimit the roads and to promote an easier circulation;
- Porta da Capo and Porta da Piedi, the only gate way entrances to the main center, rebuilt several times over the centuries after the continuing incursions of Turks and Saracen pirates;
- the Palazzo Battaglini, which features an inner courtyard adorned with an obelisk.