It's a town in the province of Pescara, set on a natural balcony not too far from the provincial capital. It also has a small beach between the mouths of the Saline and Piomba rivers. It was totally re-built during the Lombard domination which introduced the cult of the Archangel Gabriel. It was destroyed in 1239 upon order given by Frederic II. Middle Ages and a good part of '400 are marked by contrasts of political and religious matter against the close villages of Penne and Atri. In 1460 it was submitted to Jacopo Piccinino, a famous leader. In 1807 it was circled by bandits and in 1814 a movement of liberation was started by M. Castagna.
- the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, built before the XI century and rebuilt during the XIII century. The imposing building has two aisles with a beautiful XV century portico.
- the Church of San Francesco, dating back to the XIII century, with Baroque style elements. Some remaining of renaissance frescoes have been found.
- the Church of Santa Chiara, with its circle plan;
- the Church of Sant'Agostino;
- the Church of Sant'Antonio, with Baroque style stuccoes;
- the Church of San Salvatore, today Civic Museum;
- the noble palaces (Palazzo Baronale, Palazzo Basile, Palazzo Colella, Palazzo Maury, Palazzo Castagna, Palazzo Crognale);
- the Cistern.