Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Trentino Alto Adige Val di Non Ton

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Ton

Description

Ton is a small and charming town of Lower Val di Non, in the province of Trento, nestled in the unspoilt countryside, between woods and lush crops of apples, rich in history and culture, capable of entrancing visitors all year round, thanks to the wonderful combination of beautiful architecture, characteristic views, delicious gastronomic specialties and well-maintained hiking trails.
Dominated by the imposing bulk of Thun Castle, one of the best examples of castle architecture in Trentino, its history was tied to the fate of the family of Thun, one of the most powerful families in the Val di Non
Nature lovers can enjoy long walks and for many interesting excursions along the paths that climb the mountain range of peaks of Vigo and from the huts in the area.

Sites of Interest:
- Castel Thun, situated in a panoramic position in the village of Vigo di Ton, is the symbol of splendor and wealth of one of the most influential families in the area. It is surrounded by a complex system of fortifications consisting of towers, walls, ramparts, battlements and moat dating back to the XVI century. Of the same period the Porta Spagnola (Spanish Gate) which connects the drawbridge to the first courtyard. Here stands the imposing Baronial Palace. In the vast interior spaces it is possible to admire and visit several rooms that preserve the rich original furnishings and an interesting collection of paintings of the family. The environment contains one of the most valuable and interesting XVI century Bishop's Room, entirely covered with pine wood;
- the ruins of the Castle of Visioni, built where, it is believed, arose a Roman fort. Built in 1199, it was besieged and destroyed by Pietro Sporo in 1412;
- the ruins of the Castle of St. Peter, among which the cylindrical tower, in which there was a chapel dedicated to St. Peter;
- the Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Vigo, built in 1242 and rebuilt in the XVI century in Gothic style by the Master Alessio from Frisone. It features a single nave plan with a large triumphal arch separating the chancel from the nave, apse and shifted slightly to the east, to imitate the bowed head of Christ on the Cross. To the right of the main altar is placed the gravestone of the Thun family with over carved in bas-relief, the coat of arms of the noble house. It is possible to admire an ancient octagonal baptismal font, an XVIII century Baroque altar, paintings attributed to the Guardi Brothers and two organs (one dating back to the XVI century and restored in 1742 by Giulio Doria of Bolzano, and the other from a noble palace of Naples, dated 1891). The church is flanked by a bell tower with clock and a pear shaped dome;
- the Church of St. Nicholas in Toss, mentioned for the first time in a document of 1537, at present features Gothic style decorative elements. It is flanked by a bell tower with a high spire;
- the Church of St. Vigil, in pre-Romanesque style, built, according to tradition, by the Bishop St. Vigil in the IV century A.D. Surely the area was used as a cemetery, as evidenced by the numerous human bones and remains of pottery found after some digging;
- the Church of Saints Fabian and Sebastian, located in a panoramic position, with a sweeping view over the other villages of the Lower Val di Non. Mentioned for the first time in a document of 1579, the building has been repeatedly extended and altered over the following centuries;
- the Church of San Martino, situated in the park of the Castel of Thun and, for this reason, built at the same time of the fortress;
- the XVIII century Chapel of St. John of Nepomuk, placed at the beginning of the avenue that leads to the castle.
- the ruins of the Church of Santa Margherita.
- "Palazz of the Accounts";
- Villa delle Contesse.

Map

This town web page has been visited 16,480 times.

Choose language

italiano

english