In the heart of the morainic hill amphitheatre of Verbano, in the green Park of Ticino, Sesto Calende is a town in the province of Varese, located on the Southern shore of Lake Maggiore, where the Ticino resumes its journey towards the Po. To witness the existence of a "castrum", quoted in sec. XI, built to protect and guard the port below, located in an elevated position on the current river, there are two ancient towers.
Not to miss:
- the Abbey of St. Donatus, built between the IX and X centuries, is the only remaining structure of the ancient Benedictine monastery. The exterior features a porch, a rare example of Lombard architecture in its primitive form, flanked by a square bell tower which dates from the XII century. Inside the church features several important artworks that have been recently restored. Among the most important ones: The Crucifix "satis antiqua" (very old), "La Madonna del latte", "the Dispute of St. Catherine", "Our Lady of the Lemon." Behind the 'altar there is a wooden choir, a refined carving example of the school of Angera, which dates back to 1857, evidenced by an inscription in the center row.
- the Oratory of St. Vincent (also called the Three Kings), dating to the XI-XII centuries and which also belonged to the Benedictine monastery;
- the Civic Museum, which preserves relics of Culture of Golasecca (IX-VI century B.C.);
- the "Sass de Preja Buja" (literally "a rock of dark stone"), at short distance from the Oratory of St. Vincent, it is a boulder transported here since the Ice Ages, on which are carved engravings of the inhabitants of the First period of the Iron Age (II millennium B.C.).