Casorate Sempione is a municipality in the province of Varese, located in the Regional Natural Park of Ticino, which was originally founded by the Gauls in the nearby area of Masnaga (the prefix "maegh", of Gaelic origins, means "farming village") . In the area several finds of Roman times have been excavated, such as pottery, urns, and a necropolis , most of which, unfortunately, have been destroyed or dispersed. In the Middle Ages the town became a Lombard fief.
Not to miss:
- the Church of St. Ilario, enlarged and completely refurbished after the pastoral visit of the bishop St. Carlo Borromeo in 1570. Of the original structure preserved inside are a fresco depicting the Virgin and a triptych attributed to Zanetto Bugato, the favorite artist of the court of Francesco Sforza, which represents baby Jesus worshiped by Mary, by Saint Joseph and a group of angels;
- the Parish Church, built in 1621 on the site where once stood the church of Santa Maria, which features a beautiful selection of sculptures.