Located in the far south-western area of the province of Varese, bordering with the provinces of Milan and Novara, Lonate Pozzolo is mentioned for the first time in an official document of 973, which references to a land exchange between the bishop of Novara, and a certain Celsone of Lonate, even though they are also evident traces from the earlier Roman Ages. The town's name probably derives from the Celtic word "lona" (puddle).
Not to miss:
- the Town Hall, built on the area occupied by the ancient monastery of St. Agatha, already mentioned in 1340 and suppressed by the Austrian emperor Joseph II;
- the Monastery of San Michele, once one of the most important city;
- the Church of St. Ambrogio, built on the remains of the XIII century castle by Antonio Bodio, a pupil of Bramante. It features an octagonal shape plan;
- the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, which is located near to the Monastery of Santa Maria.