Mormanno is a mountain town in the province of Cosenza, located between the ridges of the Mounts Vernita and Costa, in the heart of Pollino National Park, close to Basilicata border.
It is a famous mountain resort due to its beautiful natural landscape and fresh air, as well as the peaks of Mount Velatro (1111m), Mount Cerviero (1443m), Mount Palanuda (1632m) and mountain shelters reachable both on foot and by jeep.
According to some historians, the place name derives from the Germanicus "Marimannus", referring to the Germanic mercenaries (arimanni) who obtained a territory between Laino "gastaldato" (Medieval administrative region) and Papasidero fortress.
Mormanno was founded as a Longobard block place; the town gradually developed around it. It was mentioned for the first time in a Greek written document dating back to 1092. It belonged to Sanseverino di Brisignano family until 1612.
Sites of interest:
- the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Colle, located in the main square of the town, is a Neapolitan Baroque-style church with a Latin cross. It was built on a pre-exiting building of which now we can see the bell-tower. Inside there are valuable XVIII century works of art. The crypts of the cathedral, of medieval origin and once used as burial place, are very interesting.
- the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli (1579), close to the capuchin convent;
- the Church of Santa Maria del Suffragio, with grey stone portal and frescoed barrel vault;
- the Church of Annunziata, of Medieval origin, is the oldest church of the town. During the centuries it was renovated several times, the Romanesque style bell tower is still visible. Inside there are valuable XVII-XVIII century painting;
- the Church of Sant'Apollonia, with XVIII century frescoes depicting the martyrdom of the Saint, attributed to the local painter Genesio Galtieri;
- the Church of the Perpetuo Soccorso, built by a Spanish hermit in the XVII century;
- the Church of Santa Caterina, small building facing east, according to the Byzantine tradition;
- the Chapel of San Michele, with two XVIII century frescoes enclosed into two ovals.