A beautiful village of Lower Tirreno Cosentino area, Fiumefreddo Bruzio is not only one of the best preserved old medieval centers in Calabria, but also enjoys an enviable geographical location: perched on the top of Mount Cocuzzo, overlooking the sea.
It is absolutely the highest point of the entire Coast, also known with the name Paolana, a real balcony over the sea, from where, during clear days, the view extends from the Etna to the Aeolian Islands, from the mountains of the Pollino and those of the Sila.
The village's name derives from Latin "flumen frigidum", for the particularly fresh drinking water that flows in a river through the area, before reaching the sea.
The main access to the center is the "Gate of Susa," which opens between the fortified walls. After the main doorway, its visitors enter directly into the courtyard of Mother Church, located in Piazza del Popolo.
Sites of Interest:
- the medieval Mother Church of Santa Maria, which leans against the village's fortified walls: It was renovated and enlarged in the XVII and XVIII centuries and preserves inside a series of precious wooden statues, a carved choir, sacred vestments and silver decorations of the XVIII century;
- the XVI century Church of Santa Chiara, with its tiled floors with fine XVIII century polychrome paintings of the Neapolitan school;
- the terrace of the Belvedere della "Torretta", former courtyard of the convent of the Minimi order, it is surrounded by a parapet with stone seats and imaginative decorations and features a superb panorama over the coast between Amantea and Paola;
- the several palaces and noble residences (Palazzo del Barone Bianco, Palazzo Pignatelli, Palazzo Gaudiosi, Palazzo Mazzarone, Palazzo Zupi, Palazzo Pitellia, Palazzo Santanna, Palazzo Castiglione-Morelli);
- the ruins of the Castle, built on the top of a peak, that overlooks the whole village and was destroyed during the passage of Napoleon's troops in 1807;
- the Church of San Francesco di Paola (1709), which features a splendid baroque portal;
- the XVIII century Church of San Rocco, with its particular hexagonal shape plan.