Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




  • Hotel Giardino Eden Ischia

    Hotel Giardino Eden Ischia

    Sea Hotel Accommodation Exclusive Resort Restaurant Swimming Pool Ischia Island Gulf of Naples Campania Italy

  • Villa Casale Ravello

    Villa Casale Ravello

    Quality Apartments Accommodation Swimming Pool Villa Ravello Residence Amalficoast Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania Italy

  • Pineta 1903

    Pineta 1903

    Restaurant Lounge Bar Wine Bar Lemon Garden Beer Pub Brasserie Maiori Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Villa Maria Holiday Farmhouse Minori

    Villa Maria Holiday Farmhouse Minori

    Country House Bed and Breakfast Bio Farmhouse Accommodation Restaurant Minori AmalfiCoast Neapolitan Riviera Positano Amalfi Minori...

  • l'Amore holiday guest house Amalfi Coast

    l'Amore holiday guest house Amalfi Coast

    Charming exclusive Accommodation appartments on the Amalficoast, Luxury Apartments historical building, Maiori Amalficoast Neapolitan...

you are here: Home Calabria Cosenza and Crotone Isola di Capo Rizzuto


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail


Isola di Capo Rizzuto


An important town in the province of Crotone, that overlooks the Ionian Sea, Isola di Capo Rizzuto has very ancient origins, attested by the discovery of relics from the Bronze Age and now exhibited at the Archaeological Museum of Crotone. There are two different schools of thought on the origins of the town's name: for some historians, it derives from the Latin "insulae" (center of agricultural storage), while according to others from the Greek "aysulon" (sacred place, shelter).
Probably built during the Byzantine era, the town was destroyed, burned down and depopulated during the Turkish invasion of 1517.
Located within the Marine Protected Area of Capo Rizzuto, today it is a major touristic resort.
Sites of Interest:
- the Cathedral, built on the ruins of a Norman - Benedictine monastery, was in part renovated between 1682 and 1717, when Monsignor Marini was Bishop here, whose crest still stands on the entrance portal of tuff stone, artwork of the Moglianese craftsmen. The cathedral features a façade characterized by a small rosette windows. The interior proposes three naves, a wooden coffered ceiling and a square shaped wooden choir. Worth of note are: the XVIII century altar, of the Neapolitan school and the Bishop's throne with a canopy, on which is depicted a Black Virgin and Child;
- the Church of the Annunciation, built in 1567, with a single nave plan, a square shaped choir and covered by a dome. Inside on the side walls are preserved two late Renaissance altars in local stone;
- the XVII century Church of San Marco, which originally was a privately owned noble Family chapel and belonged to the Barons of Ricca. The interior preserves the sarcophagus in tuff stone of feudal Lord G.A. Ricca;
- the Fortress in the village of Le Castella, a complex which consists of a round tower, built by the Angevin, and ramparts dating back to the XVI century and is located on a cliff at about 100 m from the seashore. It was originally connected to the mainland by an artificial path and a bridge, of which no trace remains. Inhabited until the XVIII century, it was a strategic defense against the invasions of the Turks;
- the fortified farmhouse of Concio, a typical building of the area, once a liquorice factory, which features an older square plan building, to which four corner towers were added in the XVIII century.


This town web page has been visited 25,969 times.

Choose language