In the province of Cosenza, Corigliano Calabro is also known by the nickname "City of the scent of the Zagare", for the strong perfume that the orange blossom leaves in the air in Spring and in Summer. The foundation of the village probably coincides with the Arab invasion of 977 by the Emir of Palermo, Qasim, when some residents of the nearby town of San Mauro decided to shelter here and built the small center of " Corellianum "(estate of the Corelli Family). The medieval characteristics of Corigliano are evident as the town is built uphill, on stepped terraces. The old center is dominated by the castle that overlooks the Ionian Sea. The sea district of Corigliano, Schiavonea, is a popular seaside resort, famous for its clear waters rich in marine species, a paradise for diving fans.
The large production of citrus and bergamot fruits and liquorice roots are the main resources of local agriculture.
Sites of Interest:
- the Ducal Castle, which today features very little of the original structure. Built in the XV century on the pre-existing remains of an earlier XI century construction, the building features a rectangular plan with corner towers. Above the main entrance portal, the coat of arms of the Ruffo is on display, Family that had the castle rebuilt and the drawbridge added. The reconstruction works of the Chapel of St. Augustine, located in the west tower, date back to 1650 and was almost completely refurbished in the XIX century, along with the renovations of the whole building, desired by the Barons Compagna. Inside are preserved paintings by Ignazio Perricci and Domenico Morelli, including the famous triptych of the Roses, an important masterpiece kept in the chapel;
- the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, originally built in the first half of the XIV century, today it features a more XVIII century appearance, after receiving major refurbishments in that period. Inside are preserved paintings of the Neapolitan school and XVIII century artworks of the Calabrian schools, including a baptistry with polychrome marble inlays;
- the Church of St. Anthony of Padua, located at the north-east side of the city, which was built in 1459 on request of Prince Luca Sanseverino. Rebuilt between 1740-42, the church features characteristic domes coated with bright turquoise and yellow ceramic tiles;
- the Hermitage of San Francesco da Paola, built according to the local traditions, where the Saint built his humble home, when he lived in Corigliano between 1474 and 1477;
- the Convent of San Francesco da Paola, founded around 1475 by Saint Paulino. Inside are preserved a painting depicting the Trinity of the artist Paolo Negroni and a pictorial series that feature events of the life of the Saint. Opposite to the church stands a monument dedicated to St. Francis of Paola, in Carrara marble, erected in 1779 to commemorate the protection, that the patron has reserved to the city, during the earthquake of 1769.