The name derives from the Germanic name "Lanzo". It 's a town near Turin, located at the entrance of the Lanzo Valley, whose territory is crossed by the streams Tesso and Uppia and by the river Stura. The territory, originally with an agricultural vocation, is now devoted to tourism. The town became famous thanks to a local doctor, assisted by a baker, that in the late XVII century, invented a special breadstick called "Ghersin", today known as Grissino.
It was a fief of the Bishop of Turin, subsequently submitted to the Savoy and the Monferrato. In the early XIV century, Lanzo under the rule of Margaret of Savoy, became a Castellania (fief with a castle) and the inhabitants of the village obtained a number of privileges. In the XVI century French troops besieged the town, destroying the castle. With the Peace of Cateau-Cambresis the Savoy regained possession of the territory that became Marquisate with the marriage of the daughter of Emanuele Filiberto with Filippo d'Este. During this period, Lanzo lost many privileges received in the past. In the XVIII century the estate was sold to Count Cacherano Osasco della Rocca and then, for lack of heirs, the lands returned to the king. Subsequently they passed to the Austrians and after the battle of Marengo to the French.
- the XI century Parish Church of St. Peter in Chains, originally located near to the castle, was demolished in the early XVI century by Giangiacomo Medici, to strengthen the defenses of the castle. The present building, built in the XVI century, was later expanded and flanked by a Bell Tower. Inside the church, frescoed by Guglielmino, is preserved a XVII century wooden group depicting St. Peter;
- the Church of Santa Croce which originally stood just outside the walls of the village and already existing in the XIII century. The present building was built by the Brotherhood of the Disciples as a hospital to host those on pilgrimage to Santiago of Compostela. In 1776 the building, that features a Gothic style decorated façade, was flanked by a Bell Tower. Inside are preserved precious paintings and a crucifix of the XVIII century;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Loreto, built in 1618 in just three months by citizens of Lanzo;
- the Shrine of St. Ignatius;
- the Hermitage of Camaldolesi;
- the Devil's Bridge on the River Stura, which was built in 1378 with the funds of a tax on wine and connects Lanzo to Turin without crossing adjacent territories that used to belong to non friendly feudal lords, hostile to the Savoy. The bridge had a large gateway that served to maintain the center secluded in case of epidemics;
- the Civic Tower of Aymone of Challant, named after its builder, a gateway to the village, the only evidence of the old hospital destroyed by the French in the mid-XVI century. The building, more than twenty meters tall, was equipped with battlements and arched gateway, once was closed by a drawbridge of which, today, the hinges are still visible. In the XIX century the building was covered by a roof;
- the Museum of Tools.