The name is the result of the combination of the Germanic proper name "Al" and the suffix "ing", preceded by the word "monte" (mountain) which means "Mount inhabited by the children of Al" , however, another current of thought attests that it derives from the Latin and can be translated into "village lying between a wooded area". Small town near Turin, located in the Canavese, Ivrea and location not far from Lake Candia, the center is named for the first time in a document of the XII century. It was part of consortium of Canavese, a regional consortium, established to ensure the defense of territory from the many dangers from nearby towns and local lords. An important representative of Montalenghe in the XIII century was Raimondo of the family of Castellamonte. During the Middle Ages several noble families ruled over the territories. The San Martino Family were protagonists of an event that marked the country's history: in 1339 the inhabitants of the village of San Giorgio, located in plain of Rivarolo and dominated by the castle of Montalenghe, at the time owned by the Count di San Martino, rebelled against the feudal lords. Tired about this situation, they attacked Montalenghe and exterminated the population. The old Count made an agreement with the enemies and ended up delivering to them the fortress without being able to conquer it back. The town was ceded to the Biandrate Family of San Giorgio and later to the Marquis of Monferrato.
- the Parish Church of Our Lady of Grace, built in 1760, which features an elaborate façade divided between two stories and flanked by a Bell Tower decorated with mullioned windows;
- the Church of St. Peter, originally built in the XIII century and restored at the end of the XIX century;
- the Castelvecchio, built between the XI and XII centuries and dominates the town center. Today, of the original building remain only ruins;
- the XVIII century Castle, situated in the main center of the town and features a large park within which there is a cedar of about three hundred years old, a monumental tree 36 meters high and 12 meters in diameter.