The town's name refers to the presence of numerous families in the territory of Roman origins. Located in the province of Turin, at the foot of the Moraine hills, overlooking the valley below, Romano Canavese features an interesting nature Park, recently recognized by the Communities of interest: the Marshlands of Romano Canavese.
According to local historians, in the area arose in 143 BC a Roman army camp, an outpost in the war against the Celtic-Ligurian and Salassi populations, also evidenced by the discovery of relics of that period, which support this hypothesis. The first traces of a settlement go back to year 1000, when the territories belonged to the Bishop of Ivrea. In the XIV century the inhabitants, like others in the Canavese area, were involved with the revolt of the Tuchini. It was in this period that the castle was destroyed and of the ancient building, today, remains only a tower. The inhabitants, always in the XIV century, characterized by the generosity of the local Lords, they managed to conquer their autonomy with a series of municipal statutes, which permitted a better organization of civic life. Several were the families who took turns in governing the territory: the San Martino, the Orengo and the Marchetti. In the XIX century Romano Canavese was involved in the in clashes between the Napoleonic army and the Austro-Piedmontese.
- the Church of Santa Marta, located next to the Southern Gateway and the Hospital and dates back to 1200. It features three naves and irregular rectangular apse. The façade in Baroque style, presents itself in a simple way and is surmounted by a pediment decorated with columns. The nearby Bell Tower has a particular triangle shaped plan;
- the XIX century Parish Church of Saints Peter and Solutore;
- the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Cascine;
- the Chapel of San Rocco in Cascine;
- the Church of San Solutore;
- the medieval Hospital of which are still visible the North Gate and traces of an old drawbridge and the South Gate;
- the XIV century Municipal Tower, which was built by the Bishop of Ivrea. It features a square base plan with a belfry added in the XIX century and is surrounded by a large park;
- Villa Bocca.