The town's name derives from the Latin word "ripa" (shore bank) and the suffix "Arius" due to its location near to a river. Municipality in the province of Turin, it is situated in the plain crossed by the river Orco that springs from the Gran Paradiso. The town center is rich in history and art: several churches built in the surrounding districts are of great value and here is present one of the many castles of the Canavese area. Of particular interest is Via Ivrea, once known as Via Maestra (the High Street), for the presence of 500 meters of arcades, ancient churches and elegant buildings.
The town is of Roman origins, as evidenced by the presence of a wall dating to the I century B.C. The area was theatre of clashes between the Roman army against the Salassi (an ancient Italic population). To the Romans succeeded the Burgundians, Lombards and Franks. The territories, that originally belonged to the Count Arduin, were divided between the Valperga and San Martino Families, which started a series of long-standing disputes and struggles for territorial government over this very rich area. The conflicts ended with the intervention of the Savoy, followed by a period of relative prosperity for the citizens, who finally found a period of peace with the establishment of the first municipal government.
- the Church of San Rocco and San Carlo, built in the second half of the XVIII century, it features a single nave with decorative elements by Molinari and houses the relics of Santa Felicissima;
- the Church of the Brotherhood of SS. Name of Jesus, built in the early XVII century and extended several times over the centuries, it has been flanked by Bell tower built in 1677. Inside are preserved a series of valuable paintings, a wooden pulpit from 1880 and the relics of St. Vittore;
- the Parish of St. James, built in 1775 by architect Michele and features a Baroque facade, an interior with three naves and a fine altar. Inside it preserves a wooden statue depicting the Virgin, artwork of the artist Clemente and a painting by Alemanni. The structure is flanked by a Bell tower, 48 meters tall;
- the Church and Convent of St. Francis of the XV century, according to the local historians it was founded by St. Francis of Assisi. Inside is preserved a valuable fresco of Spanzotti, depicting the Adoration of the Child;
- the Parish Church of San Michele Arcangelo, built in 1759 by the architect Vittone, it features a dome divided into eight segments. The altar is decorated with a wooden statue of the late Gothic period;
- the Church entitled to Jesus Christ;
- the Castle of Malgrà, dating from the XIV century, it was built by Count di San Martino and remained in family ownership until the XVII century. On request of the later owners, the structure submitted a series of renovations, completed by the architect Andrade in the late XIX century. The castle is currently owned by the municipality.