The origins of the town's name are uncertain: for some historians it derives from "leuko" (white, justified by the particular color of the local rocks), according to others the word "Lucus" (forest). It 's a mountain village in the province of Turin, located on the border with the Val d'Aosta, in the narrow valley of Orco. The town is composed of 92 villages, distributed at altitudes between 500 and 3700 meters above sea level of the Torre del Gran San Pietro, is particularly wide and crossed the river Orco. The local economy is devoted mainly to cattle breeding and dairy production. The Valleys of Valsoera and of Piantonetto feature numerous nature trails, marked by small camps and shelters, ideal for hikers. Recently also the ski resort of the Cialma has been reactivated.
The first records of the village date back to 1185, a period in which the territories were scenario of clashes between the Accounts of Valperga and San Martino, in conflict for the possession of this rich area. The end of the XIII century was marked by disputes with neighboring populations that persisted until the early XIV century. In the XV century the domain was submitted to the Savoy, that put an end to the uprising of the people of Canavese area against the local Lords. Over the centuries the river Orco with its frequent flooding has caused a lot o damage to the town. In subsequent years Locana shared the same history and fate of the other realities of the entire peninsula.
- the Parish Church of St. Peter in Chains was built in 1681 on the ruins of the former church entitled to San Meineiro, destroyed in 1628 by a landslide. The only traces of the original structure are visible in the medieval bell tower. The present building has three naves with a façade and an interior decoration of Baroque clear imprint. The main altar is in finely carved wood, similar to the one present in the side chapels . The organ is of the second half of the XIX century;
- the Church of Our Lady of Grace in the district of Gurgo, built on a rocky outcrop overlooking the river Orco. A single nave plan, erected in stone, features a pitched roof portico, built to protect some frescoes present on the façade, art works of the artist Rovere;
- the Church of San Michele in the district Fornola, which presents a convex semicircular façade of the XVIII century, decorated with geometric elements and features a single nave plan with side chapels;
- the Chapel of St. Anne village in Praia, built in stone, presents a façade with floral motif frescoes and features a single nave plan with a semicircular apse. Located in the nearby, a square base Bell Tower.
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Cantellino which features two naves and is preceded by a porch;
- the Church of Piandemma, dating from the period between the XVIII and XIX centuries, it features a rectangular plan with one nave. Its façade is decorated with three paintings, a characteristic porch with a square base covered by pitched roof, frescoed with floral motifs. The Bell Tower, located far from the church, is built of stone and has a square base.
- the Shrine of St. Anne in Meinardi, which features a rectangular plan with a semicircular apse. The building is preceded by a finely decorated porch;
- the Chapel delle Piane, which features two mosaic medallions on the façade;
- the Chapel of St. Rocco, which presents itself with great sobriety;
- the Chapel of Fey;
- the Roman bridges.