The town's name probably derives from the Latin "Vicus Ulpianus", from the real name "Ulpius", to which the suffix "anus" was added, to indicate membership, as the property of the lands in this area, in late-Imperial Roman Ages, belonged to a certain landlord, known with the name Ulpiano.
Municipality in the province of Turin, in Lower Canavese area, near the plateau of Vaud, the territory is crossed by several rivers.
The first settlers were Salassi (an ancient Italic tribe), defeated after a long and stubborn resistance by the Roman settlers, that gave importance to the town, connecting it to the other major centers of the area with roads. After the Fall of the Roman Empire the area was left in disarray and insecurity, prey of the Barbarian invasions. The town was conquered by the Lombards, against who Charlemagne proclaimed war in the VIII century and at their defeat the territories were included into the Holy Roman Empire. Volpiano became a municipality in 1080, while in the XIV century, during the civil war in the Canavese area, it lost its independence and became part of the domain of Marquis Giovanni of Monferrato, who ceded the fief to the Parish Abbey. In the XV century the Savoy took over and a century later its inhabitants allied with the Spanish in the war against France, who retaliated by destroying the castle.
- the XVIII century Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary;.
- the Parish Church of St. Peter and Paul, built around the year 1000 by the King Arduino, it has been repeatedly expanded and renovated. It features one major nave and two aisles and its façade is embellished by frescoes of the artist Reffo. Inside are preserved: a statue depicting the Madonna and Child of Clement, of the same author of another statue depicting Jesus, located behind the altar and an organ dating from the XIX century and several valuable paintings of the artist Ferrari and Morgari;
- the Chapel of San Rocco, built in the XVII century to replace the damaged chapel dedicated to the same Saint and inside which are preserved five paintings and a crucifix of the XV century;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Grace;
- the Chapel of the Pilgrim;
- the Chapel of Our Lady of the Vineyards;
- the Chapel of Santa Teresa;
- the Chapel of St. Catherina;
- the Chapel of San Michele;
- the Chapel of San Grato;
- the Chapel of St. John.