Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Trentino Alto Adige Val d'Isarco Brennero-Colle Isarco

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Brennero-Colle Isarco

Description

Brennero (Brenner in German) is a town in the province of Bolzano, located on the border with Austria, near the homonymous pass. The Brenner mountain is the lowest passage through all the Austrian border, and this is the reason to attest that this important crossing point was inhabited since the Stone Age (at 50 km from here, in fact, were brought to the light the remains of "Ötzi", the Iceman, who died about 5300 years ago). The Romans then undertook a massive construction of roads, still used during the Middle Ages. In 1777, the Empress of Austria, Maria Theresa, had the Roman road enlarged and re-surfaced, while in 1867, the area was equipped with its first railway line.
The strategic importance of the town, both in terms of finance and trade, was recognized already in ancient times and became a useful toll between Italy and the Danube area. In 1414 the Counts of Tyrol established here a House of Customs for the control of the transit of goods and people, taking in the following centuries, a decisive role in trade between Venice and Northern Europe.
The town's name, attested for the first time in 1288 as "Prenner", clearly derives from the Brueni (a Rhaetian tribe), who lived the whole Eisacktal area in pre-Roman times.

Sites of Interest:
- the Parish Church of San Valentino, already built in 565, where once stood a Sanctuary dedicated to the same saint. It preserves a precious stone portal, a XVI century bell tower and a polygonal choir;
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria della Strada, built between 1958 and 1962, reproducing a design of the architect Luis Plattner;
- the Church of Santa Barbara, whose altar is a real jewel of mining art;
- the Parish of Colle Isarco (Gossensass), in Baroque style;
- the Chapel of the Wolf;
- the Chapel of the Brennero Terme;
- the thermal springs;
- the military memorial shrine;
- the equipped ski area of Ladurno;
- the Tribulaun of Fleres (Pflerscher), the highest peak in the mountain group of the Tribulaun.

Map

This town web page has been visited 19,595 times.

Choose language

italiano

english