LDA Translation team is working for you!The name derives from the Latin Tigulliorum Segesta or Segesta, later transformed in Sestri. Town in the province of Genoa, the Riviera di Levante, overlooking the Gulf of Tigullio, it is known as "the city of two seas". The old centre is sheltered by a rocky promontory joined to the mainland by a thin strip of land, that separates the Bay of Fables from the Bay of Silence. The most modern area is developed along the plain of the river Gromolo. It is a charming little town from all points of view: the mild climate, a well preserved natural beauty, a beautiful reef, two beaches and the important buildings. Walking through the center it is possible to admire the slate portals that date to the XIV century.
The town was once famous for shipbuilding such as the Leudo, a boat with a Latin sail, of which there is an admirable example restored in the Bay of Fables, on the beach of Balin. In Riva Trigoso, there is an active shipyard that still builds warships for the Italian Navy and other foreign buyers.
The first inhabitants of the area were the Ligurian, also called Tigullio. At first the town stood alone on the island that later it was artificially united with the mainland. In Roman times, Sestri became an important maritime and commercial center, thanks mainly to the favorable position allowing quick connections by sea and by land. Historical sources show that in 909 King Berengar ceded part of the territory to the Basilica of San Giovanni di Pavia. During the Middle Ages the village spread on land and in the XII century the Fieschi di Lavagna clashed with the Republic of Genoa in a vain attempt to take over Sestri. In fact in 1134 the town was under the control of the Genoese. In 1170 it was attacked, along with the other towns of the Tigullio area by Pisa and just two years after the Fieschi, allied to the Malaspina finally submitted the lands to their rule. In the XI century, Castruccio Castracani, the Lord of Lucca, unsuccessfully tried to conquer the area, but managed a few years with the help of the Visconti. The struggles between the Guelphs and Ghibellines ravaged this area. Also Venice in the first half of the XV century tried in vain to conquer, followed the next two centuries by Turks and Saracens. Under Napoleon, the municipality was incorporated into the Department of the Apennines, then in the Kingdom of Sardinia and the Kingdom of Italy.
The Basilica of Saint Mary of Nazareth with its characteristic Neoclassical façade with a pediment and four columns and two symmetrical towers placed behind it. Built in the XVII century, it preserves inside paintings of the Baroque period and the Pietà in wood by sculptor Anton Maria Maragliano.
The Church of Santo Stefano del Ponte of the XVIII century, was built on an early Christian building.
The Church of Island of Nicolò, built in 1151 in Romanesque style, it is the oldest church building in the area. In the XV century it was remodeled in Baroque style and features one major nave and two aisles in Gothic style, a beautiful portal and a tower spire. Inside are preserved tombstones and inscriptions of the Middle Ages.
The Church of St. Anthony, built in 1960 on a design by Ceschi, on the ruins of other places of worship.
Church of the Immaculate Conception and beside the Capuchin monastery, both built in the XVII century near the Baia del Silenzio. It presents a façade of white and black bands and houses a wooden statue of the XVIII century, depicting the Madonna and two paintings by Domenico Fiasella.
The Monastery of Nuns "Monache Turchine" is located on the island, The building dates back to 1658 and has been revised several times.
The Church of St. Peter in Chains with the adjacent convent built in 1640 in the main centre of the town.
The Church of San Bartolomeo della Ginestra is situated in the homonymous village, the last reconstruction dates back to 1838. It has four columns surmounted by a pediment and a large front staircase.
The Church of Santa Vittoria in Lobiola in the village of Lobiola built in the XI century and contains the relics of Santa Vittoria.
The Church of San Bernardo Cascine, built in 1636 on the foundations of an earlier church dating back to 1151.
The Convent of the Annunciation dating from the XV century.
The remains of the ancient oratory of Santa Caterina, which was built in 1578 and destroyed by aerial bombing during the Second World War.
The Church of San Paolo in Pila.
The Church of San Giacomo in Loto.
The Palazzo Durazzo Pallavicini, built in the second half of the XVII century, seat of the Town Hall and houses a painting by Francesco Bassano.
The Palazzo Cattaneo Della Volta built in the XVII century, it features a chapel of the XVIII century with statues of the artist Gaggini.
Palazzo Fascie Rossi and numerous villas.