The name was given by the Romans: Recina or ricin. Located in the province of Genoa, between Camogli and Sori in the Riviera Ligure di Levante. The center overlooks the Golfo Paradiso near a creek that bears the same name. The town represents an ideal starting point to reach other towns of the Riviera, as Camogli and Portofino, or inland, as Mulinetti, Polanesi with the Church of San Martino, the medieval bridges and Megli with its Sanctuary that dates back to medieval times. In addition to the buildings of high artistic value, Recco features wonderful beaches, high cliffs and a center full of shops with a pleasant promenade.
Recco was already an inhabited settlement, when it was conquered by the Romans, who built here an important Castrum on the Via Aurelia. In the Middle Ages, Recco was choose as seat for the construction of the fourth Ambrosian church in the area, the others are in Rapallo, Camogli and Uscio.
It was conquered by Genoa and submitted the same historic events, as the town was repeatedly invaded by Saracen pirates, the Austrian army in 1747 and by the French in 1797. With the fall of Napoleon, Recco became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia and then of the Kingdom of Italy. During the Second World War the town was destroyed by 90% and at present the urban plan has been rebuilt on the same traces of its ancient origins.
Not to miss:
The Church of San Rocco in the neighborhood Verzemma.
The Convent of San Francesco, built in 1496 and rebuilt after the war.
The Church of St. Michael and the Holy Crucifix dating back to the XVI century and home to a Brotherhood of this order, founded in 1399.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Suffrage of the XVIII century.
The Church of Our Lady of Grace in the district Megli, keeps a spine that is believed to have belonged to the crown of Jesus
The Church of Saints John the Baptist and Giovanni Bono, entirely rebuilt after the bombing of the Second World War.
The Church of St. Martin in the district of Polanesi.