A popular seaside resort in the province of Genoa on the Gulf of Tigullio, between Chiavari and Rapallo. The town is famous for its fine silk fabrics which are exported all around the world and for the cliff trekking paths (creuze and mule tracks), that through the woods connect Zoagli to the surrounding villages: Semorile, San Pietro di Rovereto and Sant'Ambrogio. Particularly suggestive is the Madonna del Mare, a bronze sculpture, placed at 9 feet of depth, on the seabed in front of the promenade, in honour of a diving event, which is held every year. Zoagli is a selected destination in all seasons of the year by tourists from all over the world.
The centre shares with other Ligurian resorts the same fundamental historical stages: it was probably already inhabited by the Liguri Tigulli in the Prehistoric times. Some Roman historical documents, evidence the presence of a settlement on the Via Aurelia, named Joagi. In the XII century the name Zoagli is cited as one of the settlements that belonged to the fief of the Fieschi and the XIII century to the Republic of Genoa. It was merged with the Reign of Sardinia after the Congress of Vienna and was annexed into the new Kingdom of Italy in 1861. Since 1800, Zoagli has become famous for its silk weaving and for its touristic attractions and has been chosen by famous artists, including Kandinshij and Nietzsche. During the Second World War was almost completely destroyed by aerial bombing, which registered many civilian victims.
Not to miss:
The route of the five Bell towers, named so because it connects five churches located in as many villages: San Pietro di Rovereto, San Pantaleo, Semorile, St. Ambrose and St. Martin. An itinerary which is about twelve kilometres long.
The Church of San Martino is located in the Old town centre and was built in the XVIII century. It features a set of columns on two different levels with a tympanum placed above with three glassed windows and below a central rose window.
The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist in the village of Semorile, initially with a single nave, it was enlarged in the XIX century. It houses a series of valuable paintings and a statue of the school of the sculptor Anton Maria Maragliano.
The Church of Saint Ambrose of the XII century, placed in the village that has the same name, is located in a privileged position from which you can enjoy a magnificent view of the Gulf of Tigullio. It has an altar in 1707 and a statue of the sculptor Maragliano.
The Church of San Pantaleo of the XII century, built in Romanesque style.
The Church of San Pietro in Rovereto.
The Castle of Canevaro, whose construction began in 1500 and incorporates one of famous local the Saracen towers.
Saracen towers di Ponente and Levante, built in the XVI century for defense purposes. They have been refurbished several times and their outlines appear in the municipal coat of arms.