Town in the province of Genoa, located in Valle Scrivia in a privileged position on a plateau by a landslide of the mountain Pianetto, it is known as "Garden City". The town's territory included the districts of Savignone, Isorelle, San Bartolomeo Vaccarezza and villages such as: Besolagno, Bosco, Canalbolzone, Costalovaia, Castellorosso, Cerisola, Cerreta, Cages, Gualdrà and many others.
The discovery of some ceramic finds dating to the XIV century B.C., two tombs of the IV century B.C., and the remains of a Ligurian-Roman village with a series of rectangular wooden buildings with stone foundations and straw roofs, have enabled the historians to trace the evidence of a first human settlement dating to the Bronze Age.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, Savignone was subjected to Liutprando; between the IX and X centuries, it became a possession of the Bishops of Tortona and at the same time of the Marquis of Gavi, until the balance was subverted by the precarious dynastic political situation. Towards the end of the XIII century it passed to the Fieschi, counts of Lavagna, whose power, significantly increased thanks to the then Pope Innocent IV and Cardinal Ottobono. The Fieschi exercised control over territory for a long period, enjoying a full political autonomy by enacting statutes and laws and being in conflict with the noble families of that era: the Malaspina and Adorno. For defensive purposes, they build a imposing castle. Finally, in 1827, when the last heir of the Fieschi, Crosa di Savignone died, the lands passed under the control of the Vergagni.
Not to miss:
The Parish Church of St Peter, which dates back to 1691 and retains the Visitation of St. Catherine of Giovanni Battista Carlone.
The Parish of St. Bartholomew in the district with the same name, it contains paintings by Luca Cambiaso and the School of Pietro da Cortona.
Palazzo Marchionale, residence of the Fieschi family. There is no accurate date that establishes the construction of this building, but the appearance is of a pre-existing medieval castle that has been refurbished around the second half of the XVII century,. Since the second half of the XIX century it has been transformed into a health and spa center and today it is one of the oldest hotels in Liguria.
Palazzo Di Crosa Vergagni, built on request of the Count Fieschi and dates to 1771, it is located near the Parish of St. Peter.
Villa Grendi of the XIX century.
Villa Gatto built in the early twenties of this century.
Villa Grondona in the district of San Bartolomeo di Vallecalda.
Villa Solaro and Villa Ragnoli dating to the early XX century.
Villa Odero of the XIX century.
The Archaeological Museum in the districts of San Bartolomeo, which preserves the relics from the Bronze Age.
The National Museum of the Alpini.