Moneglia (ad Monilia) is a town in the province of Genoa, located in a bay on the Italian Riviera, surrounded by lush vegetation between Punta Moneglia and Punta Rospo. It features sandy beaches, small rocky beaches, pretty coves and a pleasant hike in the hills between the countryside.
Located on the ancient Via Aurelia, it was a key settlement in Roman times. In the VII century it was conquered by the Lombards and later, Charlemagne offered the lands and the port to the monks of St. Colombano. In the Middle Ages Moneglia was invaded and ransacked by the Saracens, and remained under the control of Fieschi Counts of Lavagna, until 1153, when it became a possession of the Republic of Genoa. The Genoese erected twenty years later, the two fortresses, Villafranca and Monleone, of which remains are still visible and were built in a short time on a high point in defense of the west side of the village. Being Submitting to the rules of Genoa, the town followed its fortunes and fought beside them in 1284 at the Battle of Meloria, where the Pisani lost 12,000 men, and in the battle of Porto Pisano with the intent to capture its commercial domain. Moneglia submitted a second siege by Malaspina in 1397, the first having occurred in 1176, and was subdued by the Duchy of Milan during the next century. In the XVI century it returned in the hands of the Genoese and was then inserted into the Kingdom of Sardinia and finally into the Kingdom of Italy.
Not to miss:
The Monleone fortress built on the hill of the west in 1173, the year after it was besieged by the Malaspina and was able to withstand more than 3,000 soldiers. Currently the site is located within the Castle De Fornari of the early '900.
Villafranca's tower built to defend against the Barbareschi pirates around 1130. In the first half of the XX century it was adapted for residential use and was partially destroyed by aerial bombing of World War II. Restored, it is now owned by the municipality.
The Church of San Giorgio was built in 1396 by Benedictine monks.
The Church of Santa Maria Assunta in the village of Lemeglio, which inside preserves a Madonna and Child with Saints, a painting by Domenico Piola.
Churches of Santa Croce, San Lorenzo and San Saturnino.
The Oratory of Disciplinanti which dates to the X century.