The name derives from the particular topographical shape of the area: Serravalle is located in a valley close to the Valsesia. A municipality in the province of Vercelli, on the border with the territory of Biella and Novara, situated in a privileged point, from where it is easy to reach the Parks of Valsesia: the Alpine Park Alta Valsesia, which extends up to 4559 meters above sea level, the Park of Mount Fenera and the Natural Reserve of the Sacred Mount of Varallo, situated on a rocky promontory and features approximate 50 chapels, in which are preserved more than 800 real size wooden and polychrome clay statues.
The first settlement was founded by the city of Vercelli in 1255. In the XIV century, Serravalle was ceded to the Visconti of Milan and in the XV century it became part of the domain of the Savoy. It was severely damaged during the clashes between the Duke of Savoy and the Duke of Milan. In the XVI century, Charles II of Savoy, ceded the fief to Ludovico Fieschi. In mid XVI century the rule passed to the noble family of Solomone of Vercelli. Shortly after it was proclaimed County and under the domain of Count Francesco Solomon, who had the first paper mill built in this area, the local economy flourished and developed with this new activity. Since 1927 the municipality is the union of three villages: Vintebbio, Bornate and Serravalle, of which, at present, the first two are now part of the main municipal area.
Not to miss:
- the Church of Santa Maria of Naula, built in Romanesque style dating from the IX century. It features one major nave and two side aisles, built in stone and brick, divided by pillars on each side, and three apses;
- the XVII century Parish of St. John the Baptist and St. Nicholao in Piane, located at the center of Serravalle and built on the remains of an earlier chapel dedicated to St. Nicholao, which had become too small for the changing needs of the population. It features three naves and houses frescoes of Peracino and Borsetti. The church is flanked by a Bell tower, built in a later period;
- the Parish of St. Joseph in Vintebbio;
- the Parish of St. James in Piane;
- the Parish of the Assumption in Bornate;
- the Church of Sant'Antonio Abate in Vintebbio;
- the Church in Gattera;
- the Church of Our Lady of the Snows;
- the Sanctuary of Sant'Euseo;
- the Church of the Madonna del Rosario in Vintebbio;
- the Castle of the Avondo, whose original building dates from the second half of the XV century, it was rebuilt in the XIX century;
- the ruins of the Castle of Vintebbio. The construction date is uncertain, but by studying the architecture, it seems that it was erected around 750, on request of the Bishops of Vercelli and placed on the remains of a Roman Castrum;
- the Castle of Cornate.