The name derives from the Latin "Burgus" (fortified place). It is an industrial town in the province of Vercelli, located on the border with the territory of Novara, at the foot of Monte Barone, crossed by the river Sesia. One of the most populated cities after the regional capital and is composed of several districts and villages. It is famous for its wool mills and for its Carnival traditions, which were already documented since the early XVIII century.
The town was built to defend the territory of Novara in the XIII century and ceded to the Visconti in the XIV century. The inhabitants obtained from them the right to create its own statutes. It subdued the French and Spanish domination, and was scourged by the plague in 1600. In 1707 it passed to the Duchy of Savoy and maintained a certain autonomy with its own statutes and tax privileges. These rights were abolished by Napoleon, who, among other things, set new boundaries on the border with France. With the fall of Napoleon and restored the status quo and privileges, the rule returned to the Savoy and Borgosesia was integrated in the Kingdom of the Savoy and later into the Kingdom of Italy.
Not to miss:
- the Baroque Sanctuary of St. Anne from the XVII century. The interior features six chapels with polychrome terracotta statues depicting scenes from the life of Madonna. Outside the church are located three caves where there are other sculptures depicting the Holy Sepulcher, Mary Magdalene, John the Baptist. The statues of the sanctuary are artworks of the brothers Ferro.
- the Baroque Parish church of Saints Peter and Paul, located in Martyrs' Square, was built in the second half of XVII century and in 1852, it was enriched by a Neoclassical façade. Inside it preserves a remarkable "Deposition" of the artist Martinoli, known as "il Rocca", dating from the XVII century and a XVI century Holy Family attributed to the Ferrari. The vault is decorated with frescoes of the XV- XVII centuries, some attributed to Tanzio da Varallo, depicting episodes from the life of St. Francis. Another important feature is an altarpiece, painted in 1539 by Lanino, depicting the Virgin and Child with Saints.
- the Oratory of Saint Anthony Abbot.
- the Oratory of Santa Marta.
- the medieval Chapel of St. Grato.
- the Oratory of San Gaudenzio.
- the Oratory of San Bernardo.
- the Parish Church of Saint Anthony Abbot in Ferruta.
- the Parish Church of Holy Cross in Aranco.
-the Parish Church of the Assumption in Agnone.
- the Museum of Paleontology.
- the Museum of Ethnography and Folklore of Valsesia.
- Palazzo Castellani.
- Villa Magni.