Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Piedmont Valsesia Campertogno

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Most viewed in Campertogno

  • Relais San Rocco Valsesia

    This elegant 19th-century residence surrounded by baitas (chalets) in an 17th-century village has been restored to its former splendor and is now a very comfortable 4-star hotel. Frescoes and antique furniture provide an intriguing contrast to contemporary...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




For some historians the town's name derives from the Latin "Campus Artoniae" (Field of Artogna), for others the name derives from the Latin "arctare" (narrow) with reference to its topographical features. It is a mountain village in the province of Vercelli, located in the middle of the Val Sesia, at just over 800 meters above sea level, at just 86 kilometers from the main regional capital, between Riva Valdobbia and Piode, following the course of the river Sesia . Thearea is characterized by a marked heterogeneity, distributed as it is, between mountains area, such as Mount Meja, and plains, such as the Gorge and Valley of Artogna. Linked to sculpture and wood carving schools, the area offers interesting hiking trails which offer features of this traditon, such as the path to Cangello at 1364 meters.
The town shared the same vicissitudes of other settlements of the territory of Valsesia: the human presence was already present in the Prehistoric Ages, followed by a period under the Roman rule, the barbarian invasions, the conquest by the Lombards and medieval colonization of the Walser. Later the territory belonged to the Duchy of Milan. April 25, 1415, the bishop of Novara ended the disputes with the residents of Broom separating the parishes and constituting one of Campertogno.
Valsesia belonged to the Savoy, to France and later to the Kingdom of Sardinia. The area merged into the province of Novara and finally in 1926, it became part of the province of Vercelli.

Not to miss:
- the Oratory of Santa Marta, dating from the XVII century, it features a wooden altar, paintings and frescoes of great value, there is an outside stone patio embellished with a fresco depicting the Crucifixion.
- the Parish Church of San Giacomo Maggiore, the most important and at the same time imposing monument of the town. It dates back to the XVII century and features frescoes and valuable paintings, an organ of the XVII century and is flanked by a square Bell tower built in the late XVI century. The museum features paintings, sculptures and furniture belonging to the various chapels and churches of the area.
- the Church of San Marco, located in the district of Tetti, originally built from the late XV century, features frescoes on the façade of 1752, designed by Antonio Orgiazzi depicting the Annunciation, St. Mark, St. John the Baptist, and St. Giulio and medallions made in 1870 by Joseph Avondo. Another fresco, dating from the XVIII century, decorates the outside of the building and depicts St. Francis. Inside it preserves paintings by Orgiazzi of 1771, as well as the frescoes around the altar and the statue on the altar of San Marco, sculptured at the beginning of the XVII century by unknown artist.
- the Church of San Bernardo, dating from the XV century, built to replace an earlier chapel. It features a single nave with a coffered ceiling, a pentagonal choir, an altarpiece of the late XVI century, frescoes from the XVII century and two important wooden busts depicting Santa Clara and Santa Colomba.
- the Oratory of St. Peter in the district of Vincoli.
- the Oratory of St. Peter in the village of Rusa.
- the Oratory of San Rocco in the hamlet of Plains.
- the Oratory of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary.
- the Oratory of the Madonna delle Grazie.
- the Oratory of Our Lady of the Angels in the village of Selletto.
- the Oratory of Santa Maria Maddalena.
- the Oratory of St. Agatha in the hamlet of Villa.
- the sanctuary of Our Lady of Callone dating from the XV century.
- the Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary of the XVI century.
- the Chapel of Our Crowned Lady dating from the XVII century.
- the church of San Carlo dating from the XVII century.
- fifteen chapels dating from the XIV century.
- the Museum of the Parish of Campertogno.


This town web page has been visited 35,862 times.

Choose language