Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Valle d'Aosta Monte Rosa Montjovet


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




It seems that the town's name derives from the union of the terms "monte" (upstream) and "jugum" (yoke, narrow), or from the Latin "Mons Jovis," probably because in the area an ancient temple dedicated to Jupiter was erected. Municipality located at about 400 meters above sea level, along the course of Dora, Montjovet has always been an inevitable transit point. The municipal area is extremely broad and includes about fifty villages. It boasts a long wine tradition and the area is famous for DOC Vallée d'Aoste Arnad-Montjovet.
The discovery of some funeral sites in Fiusey belonging to a necropolis dating back to 3000 B.C. evidence that the area was inhabited since ancient times. Other exhibits let hypothesize the presence of densely populated settlements in the Bronze Age: many are the testimonies traced of various ages. The Romans built the Via delle Gallie through Montjovet, which connected Eporedia to Augusta Praetoria, a powerful and daring piece of engineering, with various cuts in the rock and artificial constructions such as bridges. In the medieval period the specific geographic location of Montjovet, developed the hospice and hostels facilites.

Not to miss:

The Castle of Saint Germain, which was built by the Lords of De Montjovet in the XI century at approx. 609 meters above sea level to protect the ancient consular road. Now in ruins, it features a sturdy square tower about 20 meters high, a cannon in place of traditional holes, pilasters and a bastion added in the XVI century. It was sold to the Savoy in 1274 and in 1295 to the Challant. In 1661 Carlo Emanuele II ordered that all the weapons and defenses of the castle were to be delivered to the fortress of Bard.
The Castle of Chenal, that belonged to this noble family and is located at 650 meters above sea level, at North of the castle of Saint Germain. It was probably the the barracks or perhaps an observation tower for nearby castles Cly and Ussel. It belonged to Ebalo Magno of Challant, who in 1323, left the property to his heirs. It was partially demolished in 1540. Of the ancient structure remain only the mighty outer walls, a lintel stone belonging to the front door, two lounges, and some traces of the tower.
The old houses, in the center of Montjovet, that date from the period from the XV to the XVI centuries.
The Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, consecrated in 1837, has a rectangular, circular apse and a single nave and preserves an organ of 1897. Not far from the bell tower dating back to 1832 with a bell of 1522, four single windows and a pyramidal spire. Located behind the parish house, it is decorated with a plant of wisteria, old 200 years.,
The Church of San Rocco, overlooking the Dora, is the oldest of the area: it was founded in the XI century and originally was dedicated to the Virgin. It was destroyed and rebuilt in the XVIII century, of the original building remains the bell tower with mullioned windows and openings and a hexagonal spire. The current structure has a single nave, an altar of the XVII century and in the central niche, it houses a statue of the XV century depicting the Madonna and Child. The church also contains a large wooden cross of the XIV century, two side altars of the XVI and XVII centuries: on the left side, one dedicated to St. Nicholas, is home of statues of the XVI century, and on the right, another one dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. Between the nave and the chancel, there is a crucifix of the XVII, and here it is possible to admire a painting of the same period depicting the martyrdom of Saint Sebastian, a fresco depicting the Madonna of 1742 and a cross copper silver dating from the XV century.
The Chapel of the Presentation of the Virgin in Meran dating back to 1775.
The Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows in Goaz dates back to 1835.
The Chapel of the Visitation of Mary to Rodoz of the XVII century.
The Chapel of San Martino and the Nativity of John the Baptist in Plout, which dates back to 1870.
The Chapel of St. James the Apostle in Montat of 1791.
The Chapel of San Lorenzo in Grand Hoel, which dates back to 1730.


This town web page has been visited 16,751 times.

Choose language