The first part of the village's name derives from "Cresson (watercress), whilst the second part honors Saint Jean, which the patron saint's day is dedicated to. Together with the district Gressoney Saint Jean, it forms a single cultural and territorial entity. It was divided into three districts: Onderteil, Mèttelteil, that today belong to the village of Saint Jean), and Oberteil that is at present the village of La Trinité.
Gressoney Saint Jean is located at 1835 meters above sea level, at the foot of Monte Rosa, in the Valle del Lys. It borders with Piedmont and Val d'Ayas and, with its various districts, the village spreads over a large area of the entire valley of Lys and features very important tourist facilities. It Offers the opportunity to engage in winter sports, and excursions on the Monte Rosa.
Like most villages throughout the Val d'Aosta, it was populated since ancient times and belonged to the Celts and the Salassi, people famous for his skill in warfare and hunting, and for their love of independence. The inhabitants reacted with strength and determination against the conquest of the Romans, but after years of resistance, they had to surrender and their territories were assigned to the conquerors. In the Middle Ages it belonged to the Bishops of Sion, then to the Lords of Vallaise and to the Lords of Quart. Between 1227 and 1595 the feudal families offered freedom and privileges to the inhabitants of Valle del Lys in exchange for money. In the village of Noversch there was a XVI-century mansion owned by the Challant Family, which was called "La Dogana", because here the taxes were paid. On May 09th 1767, the town of Gressoney La Trinité became an independent municipality, but the lawsuits between the two districts ended only in 1831, when Gressoney La Trinité was under the dominion of the Savoy.
Not to miss:
The Church of San Giovanni Battista, which dates back to 1515 and was built on a former chapel and enlarged, in 1753, by the adding of two asymmetric aisles. It is the seat of Parish Museum which houses a wonderful crucifix of the XIII century. In the nearby it is possible to admire a stone cross dating to 1735. The Via Crucis, located outside the church, dates back to 1626.
The Savoy Castle, which was built between the late XIX and early XX century in the district of Belvedere at the foot of Colle della Ranzola. The building was commissioned by Queen Margaret and overlooks the entire valley below. It is surrounded by a park and consists of a central body of three floors with beautiful interiors, flanked by five towers topped by an unequal cusps.
The Villa Margherita, built on behalf of the Family, Beck Peccoz, and has often hosted the Queen Margaret and other components of the Royal family. Rich in steeples, balconies and balustrades, its interior still preserves most of the antique pieces of furniture and the original earthenware stoves. Purchased by the City in 1968, it is now the seat of the Town Hall.