It is a municipality located in the Valley of Baltea, a little higher than the close of Bard, at 375 meters above sea level. It represents the main door of the Val d'Aosta, one of the first towns that the visitor encounters, entering the region.
At the beginning of the XIII century, the rule over the territory of Arnad was divided between the Lords de Arnado, those of Bard, Vallaise and Verrès, who competed between each other, until the death of the last heir of the de Arnado and the low strength of Lords of Bard, the Vallaise formed, in the early XIV century, a strong and stable dominion and defined borders, which was divided between the branches of the family: the Hotel, the Hérères and the Cote. In 1390 the Hérères had no more heirs and in 1630 due to an outbreak of plague, the Hotel Family died out and all their related properties passed to the branch of Cote, that lost all after the premature death of Telesforo , son of Count Alessandro.
Not to miss:
The Parish church of San Martino, built in stone by the Benedictines in 1020, it features a major nave and two aisles with a cross vault and a particularly shaped roof topped by an octagonal dome, a portal in the form of a reversed tuff shield, a tower of 1600 with a bell dated 1594 which bears the name of the Lords of Vallaise. The frescoes inside and outside date back to the XV century.
The museum preserves precious objects belonging to the parish church and nearby chapels.
The Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows at Machaby is located between the chestnut forests at about 700 meters above sea level. The building of the early XVI century, has one major nave and two lateral aisles added in 1687, and a porch, built in the XIX century.
The Chapel of San Michele reports the date 1630 on the lintel of a door. South of the building lies a small bell tower with a square base.
The Chapel of San Lorenzo in the village of Echallod, which was cited in an official document for the first time in 1624. It presents a highly linear façade and a belfry with four mullioned windows.
The Chapel of Notre Dame de Pitié at Clos dating to 1713.
The Vallaise Castle, whose oldest part dates from the XIV century, was extended in stages until the XVII century and still visible today. It belonged to Vallaise Family until mid XIX century, when, Earl Alexander died, his daughter Rosalia sold the property belonging to her inheritance.
The ruins of the upper castle (XII-XIV century) are situated on a hill in a dominant position and at he time inhabited by nobles de Arnado. A one large construction of which remain the well preserved walls.
The Tower of Ville, a massive stone building, about 12 feet high with thick walls, irregularly interrupted by slits corresponding to the first and second floor on the south side. It has an entrance located 8 feet above the ground. The building dating is uncertain, the best hypothesis wants the tower dating from the late X or early XI century.
The bridge Echallod built of stone in the Romanesque style. It already existed in the Middle Ages and was rebuilt around 1760. It is composed of three arches supported by stone buttresses